Online Divorce Frequently Asked Questions
Retaining an Attorney
By using this site and filling out our forms, you will be retaining a New York Divorce attorney. Do not confuse this site with those that offer to send you blank documents that you must figure out how to fill out, or with sites that send you documents that were prepared by a paralegal, or possible an attorney, but that require that you separately pay all filing fees and figure out how and where to file all of your forms.
When you use this site, you are retaining the services of Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., P.C., a New York Law Firm. The online divorce service provided by our office is complete and will take you from the point where you and your spouse have entered into an agreement to the final filing of your divorce papers. This process will be supervised by a firm attorney. You can review the credentials of our firm attorneys on our Attorneys Page.
Who We Represent
Only the spouse filling out our forms and contacting our office will be retaining our office. While it may be ethically permissible in some instances for an attorney to represent both spouses involved in a divorce, our firm is not comfortable doing so and does not do so. We believe that couples are best served by having individual Attorneys. Each spouse in a divorce has different interests to be served and different rights, even in the friendliest of divorces. Each should have their own New York Divorce Attorney.
What Is Included
Our office offers three Flat Fee Uncontested Separation/Divorce Packages. The Flat Fee packages are:
- Conversion Divorce Without Children $295; With Children $395 – PLUS Filing Fees
If you already have a formal, signed Separation Agreement in New York State and wish to convert your Agreement into an Uncontested Divorce.
- Mediated Divorce Without Children $495; With Children $695 – PLUS Filing Fees
If you have a Memorandum of Understanding or other written Understanding of the terms of your Agreement obtained through the process of Mediation.
Separation Agreement & Divorce Without Children $595; With Children $695 – PLUS Filing Fees
You and your spouse have agreed upon all issues that must be determined to enter into a written Separation or Settlement Agreement, and you wish to obtain a divorce without waiting one year.
- Separation Agreement Only Without Children $345; With Children $395 – NO Filing Fees
You and your spouse have agreed upon all issues that must be determined to enter into a written Separation or Settlement Agreement, and you wish to wait one year before obtaining a divorce.
Our Flat Fee Uncontested Divorces include all divorce documents and all telephone, postal and photocopying fees.
Filing fees include all filing fees and disbursements.
If you want to start your cheap uncontested divorce online now, Click Here.
What is Not Included
Our Flat Fee Uncontested Divorces do not include the negotiation of a Separation Agreement, changes to a Separation Agreement to add or delete items that were not included in your original request, or the preparation of any post divorce documents such as Qualified Domestic Relations Orders.
Our Flat Fee services also do not include the review of any defined benefit pension or retirement plan documents or legal advice regarding the benefits provided by those plans or the division of those plans, other than those set out below.
See our Pension Page for information on what a Qualified Domestic Relations Order is and how pensions and retirement funds are divided.
Negotiation of a Separation Agreement
Our office is available to negotiate Separation Agreements. Those services are provided on an Hourly Fee basis, not a flat fee basis.
If you need additional services, such as the review of pension or retirement plan documents and advice on the benefits available to you, or the preparation of a Qualified Domestic Relations Order in addition to uncontested divorce documents, contact our office directly either by telephone (518-383-1182) or email from our Contact Page form.
Payment can be made for our services either by credit card or check online. You may also make arrangements to pay via mail by check, or by telephoning our offices to make arrangements for payment by credit card directly through our office. Services cannot be rendered prior to the receipt of payment.
Do You Qualify to Use this Site?
There are three pre-requisites to your use of this site:
- You and your spouse have either a Separation Agreement, or a Mediated Agreement, or an agreement that you worked out between the two of you. With regard to all of these types of agreements, you and your spouse must be in agreement on grounds for divorce and custody and child support and spousal support and the division of property.This site contains NY Law Pages on all of the above issues. Please review those pages, and other informational if needed, to ensure that you are comfortable with the agreement that you want us to memorialize. There are links to our NY Law Pages on the top of each page on our Uncontested Divorce Site.
- You understand that our Flat Fee services will not include any negotiation regarding the division of any qualified or other pension plan. The Flat Fee service also does not include our preparation of any Order necessary to divide your qualified or other pension plan. For information on the division of qualified or other pension plans, please see our Pension Page. Our office can and will provide a referral to a qualified Certified Divorce Planner who can assist with the division of a qualified or other pension plan if you need that assistance.
- Either you or your spouse are a resident of the State of New York. There are residency requirements to obtaining a divorce in New York State. Please review our Grounds for Divorce Page to determine if you have met those requirements.
If you meet the requirements and want to proceed you may Click Here.
How To Do It
If you meet the conditions above, you will need to determine what type of online or uncontested divorce you wish to select. To make your selection, go to the “Start Your Divorce” button on the left of this page. If you still have questions regarding which option applies to you, please review the outline on our Description Page. After you select an option, you will review three initial forms.
The initial forms that you will review and execute are:
- A Statement of Client Rights
- A Statement of Client Rights and Responsibilities; and
- A Written Retainer Agreement.
These documents must be reviewed in sequence and signed before an attorney in New York State can represent you with regard to a matrimonial case. You may review and accept these forms online.
You should call and speak to a New york Divorce Attorney in our office if you have any questions prior to signing these documents (518-383-1182).
After you accept these forms, you will receive a user name and password which will allow you to access our site and fill out your forms. You will fill those forms out at your convenience and at your own pace. You can also revise your forms if you want. When you are satisfied with your forms, you will select a submit button to send them to our office electronically.
If you meet the requirements and want to proceed you may either go to the the left menu on this and every other page and select the “Start Your Divorce” button or you may Click Here. If you need more information on how the process works, please go back to our Home Page.