As an experienced New York Divorce Lawyer, I often speak to clients about the steps they need to take to obtain an uncontested divorce.
- The uncontested divorce process follows a series of steps, the first of which is that both spouses must agree on division of assets and liabilities, custody of any children, child support, and spousal maintenance.
- Agreement on each of these issues must be reduced to writing in a document called an opting agreement or a separation agreement.
- Once that agreement is signed, the papers required to obtain an actual divorce are prepared.
- Each party signs some of those papers, and they are submitted to the court for review.
- The court will ask for any required corrections and, once the documents are approved, the court signs the judgment of divorce, and it is filed with the county clerk’s office.
Do you feel that an uncontested divorce is the best option for you and your spouse? Contact dedicated New York Divorce Lawyer Jean Mahserjian for navigation.