The most common question I hear as a dedicated New York Divorce Attorney is, “How long does it take to get a divorce?”
- How long it will take to obtain an uncontested divorce depends on several factors.
- The first step is drafting a written agreement based on an outline provided by the client, which takes five to ten business days to prepare.
- Next, the spouses review and finalize all issues addressed in that agreement, with the time added onto the days required to draft the agreement.
- Once the agreement is signed, five to ten business days are required for preparation of the required paperwork, which is forwarded to the spouses for review to ensure their agreement and signatures on appropriate documents. The time the parties take to accomplish this is added to the days our office needs to complete that paperwork.
- Submitting completed paperwork to the court is the final step and, once submitted, the paperwork is out of our control. The judgment of divorce will be signed within eight to twelve weeks, depending upon the assigned judge and how much other paperwork is awaiting the judge’s attention.
Are you looking for a timely divorce? Contact experienced New York Divorce Attorney Jean Mahserjian for legal guidance.