- It is not always important to move immediately from an agreement to a divorce. Health insurance and income tax filing can impact that decision.
- Once the judgment of divorce is rendered, the family health insurance policy can no longer be maintained. Often, one spouse and the children remain on the existing plan, but the other spouse must obtain another plan.
- Sometimes, because obtaining another plan can be very expensive, parties to stay legally separated, but not divorced, so both can utilize the same health insurance plan.
- It is important to explore tax filing options because the filing status, “married, filing separately” is higher than “married, filing jointly.”
- One or both parties may claim eligibility for head of household filing, making their filing status a non-issue.
If you are currently separated with an agreement in NY, contact Divorce Attorney Jean Mahserjian to guide you through an uncontested divorce.